Saturday, December 19, 2009
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Worked on a group project with many different options. If you were absent today, you need to choose one of the following three options that can be done independently from a group and turn it in when you get back:
Option #2: Creative Writing
Each member of your group, working alone, should choose one character from Song of Solomon and use him/her as the main character in a new short story.
End Product: Turn in your story.
Option #4: Architecture
On three different pieces of blank paper, design houses/apartment buildings for the Dead family, Pilate and Guitar based on what you know about them and their circumstances. Include a quote from the book on each page. Then, for each house, write a ½ page about how what you have drawn reflects the characters living within.
End Product:: Turn in all the work in a packet.
Option #5: College Essay
Each member of the group, working alone, should choose a college for Milkman to apply to. Then respond, in Milkman’s voice, to the application question: What influences have shaped you?
End Product: Turn in your essay.
HW: read through p. 186 and work on your portfolio (you might want to finish it over the break so you don't have to do it at the end of the term)
Sunday, December 13, 2009
1. Took a reading quiz (can't be made up - it neither hurts nor helps you if you were absent)
2. Discussed important passages from the last two chapters and had a Harkness discussion
3. Split up and wrote either: Milkman's break-up letter to Hagar OR the letter you imagine Hagar might write back. If you were absent, choose one or the other and turn it in when you get back. It should be about 1/2 page written or typed double spaced.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
1. Heard the remaining allusion presentations - be sure to schedule a make-up for yourself if you missed yours.
2. Harknessed the first two chapters of SoS.
3. Went to the lab to work on portfolios.
4. (Comments were due - turn yours in when you get back)
5. HW: 56-89, work on your portfolio (3 more pieces left before end of semester)
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
1. Heard mini-presentations on allusions. Be sure to see the posters on the wall when you get back so you know the history behind the names in Song of Solomon. Also, if you missed your presentation today, you should be prepared to give it on Monday.
2. Worked on retelling chapter one through graphic novel exercises. Be sure you understand chapter one - see me with any questions.
HW: pages 31-55, ongoing mini-presentations, AND go to the blog listed under yours in your class, choose your favorite of the two most recently posted pieces, and write a one paragraph comment on that piece. Print the comment to turn in to me on Monday.