Sunday, February 28, 2010
1. Collected the Streetcar texts and film analysis papers. Please turn yours in as soon as you get back.
2. Did some acting exercises - we will continue with these the rest of the quarter. Be prepared for fun.
3. Passed out The Tempest and started to read it aloud.
4. HW: Act I of The Tempest
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
1. Acted mini-scenes from the play
2. Had a Harkness discussion about the play as a whole, now that we've finished it
3. Worked on independent projects
HW: write a one page double spaced character analysis paper on the character of your choice. Your paper SHOULD have a thesis. Make a statement about a character and defend it with text. This short analysis will be due on Monday.
NEXT WEEK - I will be gone interviewing in the United States and you will have a substitute teacher. You'll be meeting in the Abbott projector room to watch A Streetcar Named Desire both days. Your Monday sub will collect your character analysis papers and also give you a handout describing a short film analysis paper that will be due Monday, March 1st.
Monday of next week - watch film the entire time (take notes for your film analysis paper)
Wednesday of next week - finish film, then discuss it in small groups
HW: complete film analysis paper for March 1st
Sunday, February 14, 2010
1. Took a reading quiz
2. Did small group discussion. Find the questions here - complete them for Wednesday.
3. Did an activity series (choose 4 of the following 6 to turn in on Wednesday)
A) Write a paragraph explaining what you consider to be Blanche’s Greatest Fear.
B) Choose a hero/heroine for Stella, Stanley, and Blanche. Explain the connection.
C) Design Blanche or Mitch’s Online dating profile (background, favorite books, favorite movie, looking for…)
D) Choose the quotation you consider most significant from the play so far and explain why.
E) Sketch the set during the poker game.
F) Write a dialogue between Stella and an advice-giving radio or television show host
HW: Scenes 7-11
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
1. Discussed the first two scenes of Streetcar.
Consider: What sad thing happened in Blanche's past and why does she react so strongly when Stanley touches her letters? Blanche says "a woman's charm is 50% illusion" - what does she mean by this? How does it fit her character? Which character do you trust most so far? Least?
2. Worked on the play project.
HW: Scenes 3-6